How to Stop Being an Impulse Buyer in One Week or Less

How to Stop Being an Impulse Buyer in One Week or Less



Is impulse buying cutting into your budget? Would you like to gain better control over your spending. Then enter a way to rid yourself of out-of-control impulse buying habits and patterns. This technique is useful in getting control of impulse buying pertaining to non-perishable items such as accessories, and anything else where you happen to be spending too much of your disposable income.







Things You'll Need:





A willingness to take action and follow instructions.







How to Get Control of Your Out-of-Control Impulse Buying Now!




Step
1



The first thing you'll need to do is make a list of items wherein impulse buying is a habit. For example, my impulse buying habit normally occurs at the checkout counter. Your first step; therefore, is to set up a list of items wherein you have a tendency to "impulse" buy. (Again, we are using this technique for non-perishable items only--meaning food items do not fit this category). You may find you "impulse" shop in more than one type of store. Let's say you do fine in the

grocery


until you arrive at the checkout where you purchase six or seven magazines--items not on your list. In my case, I tend to buy things at the counter when I visit the Dollar Store. The Dollar Store is a good choice for individuals on budgets; however, because of the sole fact that everything is a dollar, there can be a tendency for a consumer to go "off list" and buy much more than anticipated.




Step
2



Once you have determined where you buy on impulse then it is time to get busy and implement a plan of action to rid yourself of your habit. In my case, my impulsive buying included

jewelry


at the checkout counter when shopping at the Dollar Store. The items I purchased were most normally rings. I also had a habit of buying purses and other accessories not quite positioned at point of check out.




Step
3



Let's say your items are similar in nature to mine, except where you buy belts, I buy jewelry; and where I buy purses you buy scarves. (The problem with impulse buying of this nature is that you may return home only to find you have something almost like your recent purchase. No matter how inexpensive, it makes no relative sense to purchase something you already own). The next thing you must do is to determine a shop or store where you may purchase the "impulse" items inexpensively and according to your general taste. I chose to use the technique at the same place I had a tendency to shop on impulse: the Dollar Store.




Step
4



When employing this technique, you must adhere to the rule that you will not shop for any of your other impulse items or any other items you do not buy on impulse where you use your disposable income. Minimally, do not buy any other items you normally pick up and that aren't absolute necessities. You must place your entire focus for one week entirely on one item of which you tend to buy on impulse.




Step
5



I made the rule that I could buy as much jewelry as I wanted for one week within my budget; however, I could not buy any other accessory item. I could not buy scarves, belts, purses, makeup, or anything else wherein I'd accessorize myself or an outfit. In addition, I could not buy any home accessory items. In other words, if any other items, outside of jewelry, did not provide a functional or utilitarian purpose, I could not buy those items. I could only buy jewelry

Everybody's situation is different. Determine what you do not need right this minute but have a tendency to buy anyway and allow yourself the freedom to purchase this one "impulse buy" for one week only. You may use all of your allocated disposable income on this one item. Any other items or entertainment-related items where you spend your disposable income cannot be included. During my one week, I gave myself permission to go to any Dollar Store and purchase all the jewelry I wanted and found attractive. I did not buy other things I normally purchased with my disposable income such as books, writing instruments, other accessory items, or for anything entertainment related such as eating out or attending movies or shows. I just focused entirely on purchasing jewelry.




Step
6



You must give yourself permission to buy the item you have a habit of buying, that you really don't need, and let yourself use all of your disposable income on this one item. You will be deprived, of course of other accessories and entertainment items, however, your deprivation will not extend to the one item you have a habit of over buying. You are free to buy as much of that item as you want all within the parameters of the amount you have available for disposable income.

During my week, I went to one Dollar Store and purchased $30.00 in rings. Two rings of similar appearance retailed at a gift shop for $32.00. (I had strongly considered purchasing the latter rings before employing this technique). The idea is to purchase a lot of what you like to buy as inexpensively as possible. Instead of laboring over which ring to buy, I purchased the display box of rings. After all, I could buy as much jewelry as I wanted all within budget. I also purchased some really "artsy" looking necklaces and some very nice lacquered bangle bracelets in some "nifty" gift boxes. Granted I wasn't able to purchase any other accessories during this week, but I was having a "field day" buying jewelry. And, again, employ this technique for money you have available for disposable income: meaning money you have over and above what you have for necessities such as rent, food, and clothing. In other words, do not borrow from the amount you have allocated for rent to "feed" your one week shopping spree. If you are doing something of this nature, then your habit falls into an entirely different category and cannot be addressed within the "confines" of this article.




Step
7



After one week, you may use the same technique for other items where you have a penchant to over spend on an impulse basis. Just buy that item for one week and nothing else. Below are some other tips and techniques that will get you on the road to recovery.

By the way, the other day I was at the Dollar Store and More checkout counter (meaning although some items are relatively inexpensive they are more than one dollar) and there was a nice display of shiny looking vintage rings running around two dollars. I also found a delightful bracelet at another location in the store. I looked at the bracelet and although I was tempted to purchase it, I ceased to add it to my basket. The rings were reviewed for about thirty seconds as I remembered all of the rings I had purchased previously. Therefore, I successfully stopped myself from impulse buying either the bracelet or the rings. The idea is to leave the store and consider whether or not you really want the items. Tempting as it had been, I did not reduce myself to my former habit. I will admit that I am still thinking of the bracelet. However, this is the idea. The technique affords you the discernment to think about a possible future purchase before you buy it. If you still think you'd like to purchase it, you will have had time to consider how it fits in with your budget and whether you have something similar in style and design. You are, at the very least, looking before you you leap!







Tips & Warnings









Another strategy you may wish to employ is to only carry a limited amount of funds with you on your shopping expeditions so you will not be tempted to over spend. Since you have given yourself freedom to purchase as much of an item you "impulse buy" for one week, it may be a good idea for you to stretch the process out for the week and allow yourself to purchase from more than one vendor or retailer. If you are going to allow yourself the freedom to purchase the one "impulse" item you like a great deal; why spend all of your money in one place?








The next week or maybe a couple weeks later, determine the next item you tend to impulsively buy and follow the same guidelines.








Be aware of how you respond after using the technique. If you are finding you don't pick up items on impulse as easily then the technique has worked. You will find "somewhere down the road" that the one one thing you thought you could not live without is the item you leave on the shelf.



http://www.ehow.com/how_2153158_impulse-buyer-one-week-less.html